3.01.2006

Saved! For only $10!

(And no, I'm not referring to televangelism.)

I totally destroyed the screen of my laptop last week, by tripping over the Ethernet cable and hurling it to the ground (with great force, much more so than if it had merely fallen). This cracked the magical LCD crystals in my iBook screen remarkably badly, to the point that there is a gorgeous full-spectrum color show on the screen whenever the power is on, but no semblance of recognizable anything otherwise.

But! The rest of the computer is perfectly intact! The keyboard, the wireless network, data, hard drive, processor, everything. So alls one's got to do is plug in some cheap-ass external monitor (today I found one on lasvegas.craigslist.org for $10!) and you're all set!

And so I am...for now.

---

Meanwhile, back in SPEDville, and for those of you just joining us, "SPED" is SET lingo (Special Education Teacher) for "special education," my school district, in its infinite wisdom, has opted to try and force everyone to use the same software to write IEPs, the legal documents that define the parameters and eligibility of special education for all our students with special needs. This is ostensibly in order to ensure continuity and increase online collaboration. And it makes pretty good sense--except when you factor in that the program is not Mac compatible. So that means that where we Mac-users previously were entitled to work on these arduous documents during our leisure at home if we so desired, we now have not this option. Which sucks the proverbial horsey dong, if I may say so myself (sorry G & G, I wasn't sure how else to put it).

So even though my Mac is up and running, no amount of Mac-up-and-running-ness is sufficient to pull off another option than staying late and doing all my IEPs at school. Which I might not ordinarily object to, other than it's probably best to leave the area I work in on the "shortly after sundown" side, rather than the "whenever you're finished" side, which, according to my unnecessarily paranoid inner monologue, is tantamount to certain death.

And that's how it is from my vantage point, at least tonight. Peace.



<< Home
|